Friday 14 March 2014

Self Initiated Work - Bionic Human

I have finished the design for the Bionic Human, and fulfilled one half of the brief I initially set myself.

After drawing so many ideas and varying concepts in the sketchbook, and looking at dozens of images online, aswell as my moodboards, I felt like I was ready to begin work on the final design.

I decided to draw the final piece directly into Photoshop, although I was sugested to try Adobe Illustrator, It just wasnt comfortable to me. Im used to the layering system in Photoshop, and how to use it efficiently to draw and colour, while Illustator seemed a bit too ineffective, also the brush movements were out of sync with my drawing tablet, and slow to appear on screen, this is probably an eroor due to the instillation. I will return and try Illustrator again, but for this final piece, I decided to go with a program I knew well, instead of using it to 'experiment' with a new program.

Here is the final design.


I am very happy with the result. I used an online 3D image of  the human body as a template to draw on. since this was a side project, and didnt want the human body proportions or size be an issue (since the brief focused on designing a bionic human which was part man, part machine, aswell as a mech which it could pilot, and not accurately measuring and drawing a realistic proportionate human) I used it as an 'outline' to build on. Which I feel was the most efficient way to go about it. I was able to focus on the details of the design, instead of worrying about going off track and messing with the proportions of the body.

As you can see from the image the most obvious inspiration for my design was the armour design from the video game - Haze - which has a similar colour scheme and helmet.



I am happy with the colour scheme I have chosen for it. I have always like the contract between the varying tones of yellow and grey, one that I feel is not too gawdy, and practical in a militaristic or battle role (grey being a common find in this role, but also a neutral colour that goes with everything), but still appealing, and draws the eye to it with the noticeable bright colour. I have saved a version of the design before I added the colour, which I can use of I decide to try another colour scheme.



I believe I've fulfilled the ask of the brief, for a bionic humanoid that is both man and machine. Although the living, human side may not be obvious, it is practical, and realistic. If a human was damaged to the extent which it needed permanent artificial and life supporting technology surgically added to it to survive, odds are it would cover a large percentage of the body.

No comments:

Post a Comment