Thursday 13 February 2014

Graphic Design - Week 02

This week the aim to create 2 vehicle designs. One aerial, and one land.

For the aerial vehicle, the brief was to create a small aerial scout vehicle, which had 2 engines and a door. My immediate thought was to create something similar to the scout vehicles in the Halo franchise, the UNSC 'Hornet'. I also took inspiration from google searches of personal submarines. Although they are not aerial, they must still be streamlined for water resistance, just as planes must be against air resistance.


Here is my design.


I am happy with the design. I decided to the pilot's view 'bubble', from where he operates the vehicle, to act as the door to the vehicle aswell, which can be opened and closed, aswell as a protective casing that can be lowered over the bubble to defend against solar flares or other damage. I feel the width of the design in the top view is a little bit more than I originally intended, but feel it is suitable and necessary for the small size of the ship, which still has to accommodate a pilot, 2 engines and storage in the back.



For my land vehicle I knew I would create a 2 track vehicle, with a front screen similar to that of a combine harvester. I took other inspiration from tanks and armoured vehicles that were found on google. I began my creating a rough idea of what I wanted. Once I settled on this design and working out the details, I began drawing it on the 4 viewpoint sheet.


Im content with my design. I feel like the mechanical arm on the side could be improved, maybe give more thought into how it would rotate and move, adding some sketches to show this. But other than that I am pleased with the design. I could add more techincal panels, radars and antennas on the roof to better show it as a research vehicle, but I think that would be a bit of an overkill and unrealistic. It has an antenna and small satellite, which I think is appealing.

No comments:

Post a Comment